HIGH DEMAND: We cannot guarantee our usual delivery service. Orders will be dispatched within 1-3 working days.

Open menu Close menu Menu
Open charts menu Close charts menu Charts

Call us: 0121 634 8060, 7 days, 7am - 10pm

Free Insured Next Day Delivery

Ounce Gram
Gold £1265.90 £40.700
Silver £14.004 £0.4502

Updated 18:46 25/02/20

£ $

Reserve Bank of India allows more banks to import gold


Duncan Richardson, News Editor
20 Mar 2014, 10:34 a.m.

The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has confirmed they are going to allow more banks to import gold, this has led many analysts to believe the RBI is about to lift the gold import tax.

According to industry insiders, both Kotak Mahindra Bank and Axis bank have been given authority to import gold under what is known as the 80/20 rule. The rule permits banks from exporting more than 20% with the remaining 80% kept for domestic purposes.

Currently there are only 6 banks and 3 other financial institutions which have permits to import gold. Since the gold import tax was introduced gold imports have plummeted and China overtook India as the world’s largest consumer of gold.

The Indian government is under considerable pressure to reduce the tax, but have confirmed this will only happened once the current account deficit has narrowed.

View original source at: indianexpress.com

comments powered by Disqus