Ground broken on new Birmingham Assay office site
Duncan Richardson, News Editor
9 May 2014, 10:31 a.m.
Senior managers from the Birmingham Assay Office joined members of their construction team to start work on the Assay office’s new premises on Icknield Street in Birmingham.
The Assay Office was created in 1773 by an act of Parliament and continues to carry out its statutory duty of testing and hallmarking precious metals. The Assay office has grown significantly over the last ten years and now offers assessment, authentication and valuation of jewellery, precious metals, gemstones, watches and fashion accessories.
CEO, Stella Layton, believes the move to the new site will enable the Assay Office to improve its service in terms of security and efficiency.
The Assay office employs 150 members of staff and has been based at its current site on Newhall Street for the last 135 years.