250 Gram Silver Bars
You can buy 250g Silver bars from BullionByPost, for investors wanting to invest in slightly larger units of silver. The 250 gram bar is available in two different styles - a minted bar made by PAMP and a cast bar by Umicore. Both of these contain exactly 250 grams of 999. fine silver, and are made by LBMA approved bullion refiners.
There are 2 main ways of creating precious metal bars, each with their own different result, below is an explanation of both cast and minted bars.
Casting has been used for thousands of years and is often referred to as also "molded" or "poured". The process involves metal being heated until it turns into a liquid form and is poured into a mold to specifically to hold an exact weight and shape.
Once the metal cools down and solidifies, it is ready for engraving or further stamping, if this is not included in the mold itself.
- No two bars are the same as the casting process creates abnormalities or blemishes unique to each bar
- As pouring is quite a fast process, it is cheaper to the manufacturer and these bars are often cheaper than minted bars.
- Cast Bars are relatively simple, with simple stamping/ engraving of the bar details and manufacturer
- Despite containing the 99.9% Silver purity, visually they may not be as appealing as a minted bar
Minted bars tend to carry a higher price than cast bars due to further manufacturing input required for cleaner and more craftsmanship required in the finishing and embedded designs.
Generally minted bars are more visually more aesthetic to the eye, as this can also involve further manufacturing stages for polishing and cleaning.
- Minted bars involved more detailed manufacturing stages to ensure that the detail in the shape, designs, finishing and cleaning is exact to specifications.
- Minted bars are very popular with both investors and collectors as they can be designed with themes.
- Compared with Cast Bars, these carry greater premium, which may not be the wisest option for investors on a budget.
You may also be interested in: